Wednesday 1 April 2015

March wrap-up & April TBR





For once, I felt like posting a quick update on what I read/am reading and on what I plan on reading for the month to come.
I'm not a TBR kind of person: I never stick to them, and I feel like they don't help me at all, they rather tend to make me nervous. I'm more of a mood reader.
However, for the month of April, I have a few books that I really want to get to.

But first of all, here is a (very quick) summary of what I read in March:


  • The Well of Ascension, Brandon Sanderson (4/5)
  • Great Expectations, Charles Dickens (3/5)
  • Trois Enfants du Siècle, Cyril Massarotto (4/5)
  • Half A King, Joe Abercrombie (3/5)


As you can see, I read a very small number of books, and none of them really blew me away. I was really disappointed with Half A King, which I really expected to love. I still think I will read the next book some day, but I really thought it would be better than that.
I am planning on posting more reviews, but they take quite a long time to write and, most of the time, I cannot seem to find the words to describe what I thought about a book. If I end up posting reviews about any of these books, I'll update this article with the links to said reviews :) 

Now, let's talk about April, shall we?
The main reason why I have books planned for the month of April is because there are a few things happening.
First of all, I'm "hosting" a Narnia Readalong. More details will be coming very soon, but for now, just know that I really want to read the whole series in the weeks/months to come and that, apparently, a few people are interested in joining me :) If you are, too, feel free to take a look at the Goodreads topic
Then, a French blogger & YouTuber (Justine of Fairy Neverland) is hosting a month-long event that she called April & the Apocalypse - #Aprocalypse for short. Basically, all you have to do is read books related to the apocalypse, whether they take place before, during or after the end of the world. It can be linked to a virus, zombies, aliens, a nuclear catastrophe... Basically anything that would lead the world to end (or seriously change). I thought it was a fantastic idea so I decided to join her on this journey. 
I have quite a few books, but I know I won't have time to read them all, so I think I'll just choose a few between all of them - all the more so as I have other books to read quickly, either because of uni or because I really want to finish them.
So here is the list of books for Aprocalypse that I will pick some from:

  • The Passage, Justin Cronin
  • Station Eleven, Emily St. John Mandel
  • World War Z, Max Brooks
  • Monsters of Men, Patrick Ness
  • The Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham

I also have to finish Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe really quickly because I have an oral presentation on it coming very soon and I want to finish Juste une Ombre by Karine Giébel because I've started it (I'm actually more than halfway through) and it's fantastic.
Finally, I want to read The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro because one of my absolute favourite teachers will be hosting a conference at my uni in 2 weeks WITH KAZUO ISHIGURO ! I've heard the most fantastic things about this author and though I haven't read any of his novels yet, I have read quite a few interviews/articles about him and he seems fascinating. 

Here's to an ambitious yet promising reading month ;) 

What are you reading next month? 


No comments:

Post a Comment